Today, I want to explain to you why it's good to try new things, and not get complacent in your everyday life.
Over the course of my life I have tried the following hobbies, to varying degrees of success:
- Film-making
- Vlogging
- Improv comedy
- Badminton
- Trampolining
- Swimming
- Dance
- Acting
- Saxophone
- Piano
- Film-reviewing
- Table tennis
- Box fit
- Blogging
- Singing
- Crafts
- Football
- Jazzercise
- Vajazzling
- Athletics
- Cycling
So that's a wide variety of shit. And some of it didn't last long - my total artistic inability made my plunge into the world of paper maché brief. Amongst all of this stuff (10 points to Gryffindor if you guess which one I just made up), some of it stuck. The pass times in bold are the things I still partake in to this day. It was somewhat inevitable that my enjoyment of certain sports like football wouldn't sustain past the life span of primary school cool. It's really a big game of trial and error, but if you play the game, you reap the rewards.
I want to take you back to what must of been 2006. My grandmother dragged me along to a meeting for HOME Shetland, a big project taking place in communities across Scotland to celebrate the creation of the National Theatre of Scotland. I took part in this production based on the Northlink, which was bizarre but from what I gather quite moving. What is more significant about that day however, was the fact that the Shetland Youth Theatre were meeting upstairs at the same time. I was encouraged by John Haswell to mozy on upstairs and join them, and despite major hesitation, I did. BEST DECISION EVER. From there, I made gained a ridiculous amount of confidence, made friends with people whom I'm still close to this day, and within 2 years performed on the stage of the National Theatre in London. All because I said yes that one day in early 2006.
Another similar case is my decision to attend the inaugural meeting of 'Shetland's Young Persons Film & Media Club' after playing with my home movie camcorder obsessively for a couple years. Fast forward 5 years, and I'm now the chairperson of the club ,which is now called the somewhat more catchy Maddrim Media. We've had crazy amounts of success, including screenings at national film festivals, mentions in broadsheets, and a certain top film critic's number in my phonebook... I'm now applying to study Digital Film & Television!
So, while I might not be the UK's next big vajazzle artist, my life has been enriched by the hobbies that did stick. All because I said yes one day. So the moral of the story: say yes to things. I promise I'll stop being a hippy tomorrow.
Tara x
No comments:
Post a Comment